Education and Research in the Field of Drug Design and Development within the V4 Region
Project ID # / Title of the Project
22130144 / Education and Research in the Field of Drug Design and Development within the V4 Region
01/02/2022 – 31/05/2023
Support of the Project
The project is co-financed by the Governments of Czechia, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia through Visegrad Grants from International Visegrad Fund. The mission of the fund is to advance ideas for sustainable regional cooperation in Central Europe.
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF LUBLIN http://umlub.pl Faculty of Pharmacy https://www.umlub.pl/en/university/organizational-structure/szczegoly,169,podrzedne.html#news-title Poland
Scientific Coordinator of the Project: Prof. dr hab. n. farm. Grażyna Biała Administrative Coordinator of the Project: Mgr. Ewa Pawlus-Maciejewska (e-mail: ewa.pawlus-maciejewskaumlub.pl)
Project Partner No. 1
Scientific Coordinators of the Project: Assoc. Prof. PharmDr. Ing. Radka Opatřilová, Ph.D., PharmDr. Tereza Padrtová, Ph.D. Administrative Coordinator of the Project: PharmDr. Tereza Padrtová, Ph.D. (e-mail: padrtovatpharm.muni.cz)
Project Partner No. 2
Scientific Coordinator of the Project: Assoc. Prof. PharmDr. Ivan Malík, PhD. Administrative Coordinator of the Project: Mgr. Kristína Piatničková, PhD. (e-mail: kristina.piatnickovauniba.sk)
Description of the Main Project Objective
Drug research on new potentially effective drugs, incl. vaccines, is one of the goals of the medical sciences which constitute an integral part of national and transnational health-support programs. Today, amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, it is more visible than ever that this process needs a solid backing in the societies, especially in the Visegrad countries (as of Sept. 2021 in Poland only 51% of the population has been vaccinated against COVID with at least 1 vaccine dose, 44% in Slovakia, 56% in Czech Republic, www.ourworldindata.org). Positive societal attitudes and research successes can only stem from increased knowledge and awareness, not only of the academic communities but also common citizens of the V4 region. Analyses across all therapeutic areas indicate that the development of new medicine, from molecule synthesis, through target identification and approval for marketing, takes over 12 years (www.fda.org). Despite advances in biotechnology, this process is lengthy, costly and difficult. Increased cooperation between the V4 researchers will help in building new standardized interdisciplinary approaches, potentially accelerating drug discovery in the V4 region and building the region´s competitive advantage. False opinions about medicines, leading to skepticism, overconsumption or misuse that are noticed in V4 countries, call for improving the safety of drug use and health awareness of the population by introducing educational programs aimed not only at the partnership between researchers, but also focused on students, young researchers and general population.
UPDATED INFORMATION ON PROJECT EVENTS / OUTPUTS
- 24/03/2022 - 25/03/2022 - On-line launch of the project
- 29/04/2022 - On-line seminar for students / PhD students / young researchers involved in the project
- 09/05 - 13/05/2022 - "Study visit" No. 1 organized by the MASARYK UNIVERSITY, BRNO Project Partner university (CZ) for students / PhD students / young researchers and scientists/researchers involved in the project.
- 19/09 - 23/09/2022 - "Study visit" No. 2 organized by the COMENIUS UNIVERSITY BRATISLAVA Project Partner university (SK) for students / PhD students / young researchers and scientists/researchers involved in the project.
- 03/10/2022 - 15/05/2023 - "Open lectures" - 5 lectures organized by each of the university involved, in local language, intended for the general public.
- 20/03/2023 - 24/03/2023 - "Study visit" No. 3 organized by the main coordinator of the project - by MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF LUBLIN (PL) for students / PhD students / young researchers and scientists/researchers involved in the project.
- 14/04/2023 - on-line "Stakeholders Event" focused on the project results, intended for external stakeholders, such as: regional, supra-regional and foreign researchers, science institutions, academic community, pharmaceutical companies, local and regional authorities, NGOs, etc.
More detailed information on the project available on: www.drug-research-edu.eu