The department utilises experimental and theoretical computing methods to study physical and chemical characteristics of drugs and model substances with the emphasis on:
· clarification of the molecular mechanism of action of drugs (antivirals, sterols, peptides and proteins) interacting with the model membrane lipid bilayers of composition similar to cell membranes and pulmonary surfactants;
· interactions of DNA with supramolecular phospholipid aggregates in terms of their utilisation as delivery vectors of genetic material;
· generation of molecular associates, micellization and partition equilibria of drugs in terms of the explanation of drug effects and possibilities of preparing suitable drug formulations;
· combinatorial chemistry as a method of drug design and molecular modelling of receptor – drug interactions;
· theoretical as well as experimental research focused on peptidomimetic molecules with antiviral properties possessing the ability to inhibit viral proteases of coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.